piano refinishing

Bigeartb@AOL.COM Bigeartb@AOL.COM
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 23:20:47 EDT

Mark,
     What about durability in the long haul? Will it hold up?  Does it crack
easily? What about clairity? Are piano factories using water based lacquer on
their lacquered parts? Of course it cannot be compatable with solvent based
lacquers...or is it? I always rub down but spray a final 50/50 coat as the
finish coat. Can this be done with water based lacquer? Once again, my
initial investigation into this type lacquer indicated it would not hold up
as well as solvent based lacquers. Has this changed or do you think I
received incorrect infomation?
      I am open to new methods. I have been working with solvent based
lacquers for over 25 years and yes , one must take percautions. This is not
for the person working out of a garage in their home. My methods are of the
"old" school  but I am open to this concept  but would like materials to
study for myself. We must all keep up with changing times or because of our
ignorance will be left behind.

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.