piano refinishing

Sun, 9 Jun 2002 06:19:24 -0400

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002 23:20:47 EDT Bigeartb@AOL.COM writes:

> What about durability in the long haul? Will it hold up?

The literature and testing, and my experience suggests that it will hold
up at least as well as nitro.

>Does  it crack easily?

No, it is a relatively flexible film, more so than nitrocellulose
lacquer.

>What about clairity?

Equal to the solvent-based stuff.

>Are piano factories using water based  lacquer on their lacquered parts?

Dunno, but they will be if they're not already.  Seems I see alot of
polyester finishes, though.  I do know of at least one major body shop
(auto) here, the biggest in town, spraying water-based urethanes in their
scheme of finish work.

>Of course it cannot be compatable with solvent based  lacquers...or is
it?

I wouldn't go so far as to say you can mix and match to your heart's
delight, but I have many times used Mohawk's solvent-based toners under
it with no problems whatsoever, and if the water-based material has cured
a week you can topcoat it with solvent-based lacquer with no problem, if
you really wanted to.

>I always rub down but spray a final 50/50 coat as the finish coat. Can
this be done with water based lacquer?

Not that I'm aware of, and I would think not.  There is, of course, a
slight alteration of working method required when one moves from solvent
to water, and this would be a step that would change.  The final topcoat
would require slightly more rubbing out than that of nitro, in my
experience.  The differences are not so great as to be substantial,
though.

>Once again, my initial investigation into this type lacquer indicated it
would not
> hold up as well as solvent based lacquers. Has this changed or do you
think
> I  received incorrect infomation?

Depends how long ago you received this information, and who you received
it from.  People who have never even used water-based lacquer seem to
have some pretty hard-held beliefs about its performance.  And there have
been some pretty lame water-based finishing materials in the marketplace,
to be sure, in the past, but the advances of the past 5 years have been
significant.

> I am open to new methods. I have been working with solvent
> based  lacquers for over 25 years and yes , one must take percautions.
This
> is not for the person working out of a garage in their home. My methods
are
> of the  "old" school  but I am open to this concept  but would like
> materials to study for myself. We must all keep up with changing times
or because
> of our ignorance will be left behind.
>
> Tommy Black
> Decatur, Ala.

Tommy, I am in no way trying to convince you to change your methods, do
what works for you.  If you are interested in checking out the new
materials, I wouldn't be surprised if they might offer trial quarts for
the professional finisher wanting to 'take a test drive'.  It does take a
slight adjustment, though in your spraying methods, so some initial
tinkering will be necessary.  If you got serious about possibly changing
over, I would suggest you talk to some finishers down there using
water-based to shorten the learning curve.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com