Adjusting dampers to tray

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:15:30 -0700

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 1:30 PM
  Subject: Re: Adjusting dampers to tray

  Hi Kevin,
                The approach that I use in the field if I am without my =
damper timing Jig, and using the tray to regulate timing.

  1. Draw a horizontal pencil line across the end sample hammers of each =
section, at half the blow distance, down from the crown.
  2. Keep adjusting the pedal nut until the damper just starts to move, =
as the  line becomes level with the adjacent hammer crown.
  3. Remove action and re position the damper wire in the underlever.
  4. Reinstall action and check timing.
  5. Pay close attention to the tips of wedge damper felt for  clearance =
of all strings, trim tips as required.
  6. If you are happy with results, remove action and do the rest of the =
dampers to samples.
  7. Adjust sustenudo system.
  8. Re adjust damper tray timing, there should be at least 1.5mm from =
the bottom of the tray and the dags, and 1mm lost motion from the tray =
to the under levers.

  Hope this may help
  Regards Roger