Adjusting dampers to tray

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldwin@mta-01.sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 11:36:14 -0600

At 06:15 PM 6/14/02 -0700, you wrote:
>     Roger, Thanks. I like the idea of drawing the line, that would give
> you an exact reference point and can always be taken off with a stroke or
> two of sandpaper.

>     What I'm curious about is, are you talking about setting each section
> separately?

Hi Kevin,
                   All two frequently the tray bows down  from either side
of the pitman. So setting the timing with the hammers is accurate to the
touch component.  You then have to shim the tray felt to even out the pedal
timing if there is a bow.  This gets back to what I have been preaching
about sequence. Hope this clarifies the point.

    Other than that, I don't see your methods really differing from mine
very much. Someone suggested replacing the key end felt, and of course you
should do that on pianos that have seen some wear.

I am not slow in recommending changing both tray and key end felt, so that
I am in the ball park to start with. The job always seems a fudge with worn
felt,  remember the timing also changes with the unicorda pedal with worn
key end felt.

>     Speaking of Baldwin; you're a dealer, why don't they ever even think
> about "damper timing"? In fact, I learned how to do a real good job- real
> quick, just because of them. God Bless 'em for that.

We are working on improvements in that area.

regards Roger