Single Strings and bearing

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:56:32 EDT

In a message dated 6/16/2002 12:27:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> Subj:Single Strings and bearing
> Date:6/16/2002 12:27:42 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net">davidlovepianos@earthlink.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
> David

  I find this wording below confusing. By single do you mean wrapped
bi-chords

    I'm adding some single strings (6) to the lower part of the tenor section
of a piano             to smooth out the scaling.>>>>>
       If so I wouldn't be all that cocerned. The extra mass and tension of
the wrapped strings is what's moving the bridge.
  The bearing is minimal at the bottom of the tenor bridge and the singles
with their
> wrap actually put those strings slightly negative.  Would you be concerned
> about those singles and therefore opt to compromise the scaling and omit
> them keeping a no singles pattern?  Or will they likely not be a problem
> since they won't change the overall pressure on the bridge that much.

... I vote keep them
            Dale>>>>>.