PDG and Reducer

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 23:56:29 -0700

Kevin,
The pin driving fluid is what the paint industry calls Phenolic Resin. Since
my original post, we have all learned a few more things about this stuff. I
get my stuff from Rodda Paints, here in the Portland area. I just found out
today, that they require a minimum order of 50 gals.! NOT! However, someone
posted the fact that it comes from McWhorter Technologies, Inc., in
Carpentersville, IL, 60110; 1-888-CALL-MWT. Their stock number is H354B;
product code 207 1196; Name: "Duramac 207-1196". Also, we found out that
SchafPSCO has the stuff, (I believe under the olde TREFZ name), but it isn't
listed in the catalogue, but available on request in 4 oz. bottles
The "Synthetic Reducer" is what was recommended as the appropriate thinner
for the "Phenolic Resin", by Rodda. This stuff is pretty hot stuff, in large
quantities, so be careful!! I rejuvenated an old bottle of TREFZ PDF with
the stuff. As we work fairly slowly, in the stringing process, the stuff you
have in the little med. cup gets too thick and a few drops of Synthetic
Reducer is needed to keep it the right consistancy. I have also found it to
be the way to super-saturate the plate bushings with PDF and Synthetic
Reducer.
Well, Kevin, that's it in a small nut shell. If you were in my class, I'd
probably have had your neighbor "nudge" you. [G] hehe.
Hope this is what you wanted. Anything further, send me a private inquiry,
as this has been discussed enough on the list.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)