Black Finish

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:06:49 -0400

In a message dated Fri, 21 Jun 2002 9:21:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, Kdivad writes:

> Mark Potter states;
> > Jeez, I think mountains are being made out of molehills, here.  If there is one obvious conclusion from following this list and a refinishers forum over the years, it is that there are a multitude of ways to 'skin the cat', almost ANY cat.  And many 'professional' results are had by many differing methods.   It never ceases to amaze me.  There are so many variables.... shop size, work load, material being used, personal preferences, the list goes on.  And yes, I agree that all refinishing work done does not qualify as 'expert', but I would also contend that there are more than a few that do excellent work, using methods of work that would differ from mine or yours.
> >
> > IMO, only an entry level of common sense is required to ensure adequate finish material is being provided for all edges.  It is a craft, yes, but it is not rocket science.  And not rubbing through edges is during rub out is certainly at least as much the responsibility of the 'rubbee' as it is dependent on the amount of material applied, although it is painfully obvious that there must be adequate material there to begin with.   Perhaps the biggest mistake with edges, in fact, lies in neglecting to slightly round any sharp edges.  As you are well aware, very little material, using any method, cannot be built up on a sharp edge.
> >
> > A good system for doing ANY job is a plus.  But to imply
> > that there is only ONE system that works, well....
> >
> > You cannot dissuade me.
> >
> > Mark Potter
> > bases-loaded@juno.com

 I will say it again.

 Mark, please explain any other technique besides putting enough paint on the corners of a piano that works, what other ways are there to skin a cat?  What does shop size, work load, material and personal preferences have to do with it?  If you do not spray enough on the corners, it doesn't matter how good a "rubber" you are you will rub through! If you find a "good" refinisher and watch him he will use Jon's technique including rounding the corners either consciously or subconsciously. Rocket science?? Mountains and molehills??

 Now having restated, I will add that Jon was refering to the fact that the ONLY technique when spraying paint is to get enough paint on the corners and that has nothing to do with shop size, work load, material or personal preference.  You agree the only technique when sanding (helping to prevent rub through) is to round the corners, correct? I have used the flip and spray, the hanging and the stand against the wall method. I find it awkward to apply enough paint to the corners near the floor so I use the hanging technique.  I have also have inspected hundreds of pianos where the finish left a lot to be desired.   One of the tell tale signs of a second rate finish is the quality of the finish on the surfaces that are more hidden from view like the bottom of the lid.   If the standing method works for you that is fine, as long as it gets the job done.

 David Koelzer
 DFW