company name

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:34:14 -0400

In a message dated Fri, 21 Jun 2002 2:24:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, piano@charlesneuman.net writes:

> If you are self-employed and don't have partners in your business, which
> do you think is more effective for your company name: your own name, or a
> business-y name such as "Superb Piano Works" or "Piano-Toon"?
>
> I have heard people in the past claim that your own name sounds more
> personal. On the other hand, maybe customers prefer something with more
> distance, which might be more "official" in their eyes. I don't know.
>
> I notice that a lot of businesses have really boring-sounding names such
> as "American [whatever]", or "Mid-Island [whatever]". And
> putting the town
> name in the company name seems to be popular.
>
> Charles Neuman

Your right about boring names but I think a well thought out business name including the word "piano" is worth a thousand pictures.  There is a definate advantage in telling what you do ala your formal business name that can have a significant impact in many ways such as advertising, business card impact, even you listing in the phone book.  My business name is Vintage Pianos and the way I personalize it is to add "piano restorations by David Koelzer.  The problem is ,of course, coming up with that clever and classy business name.  I like my own but can't take credit for it my partner Laura Hileman came up with it.
David Koelzer
DFW