Molded Keytops (slightly OT again)

Greg Casper gcasper@pacbell.net
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 17:58:16 -0700

Jim:

XP is Microsoft's new SUPER-SNOOPER tool. It REQUIRES that you call in or be
online to install it, because it scans and reports to Microsoft the CPU id
from your system processor as well as some other hardward info. If you ever
upgrade your system, you MAY have to call MS AGAIN to keep your system
working. PLUS, it has been reported through the grapevine that there MAY
also be SNOOPWARE code in XP which scans your system for unregistered
Microsoft software. I BELIEVE that this has been declared illegal, but I'm
not certain. And, as we all know, just because it's illegal doesn't mean MS
isn't doing it!

On the other hand, XP is the most stable environment MS has put out to date.
There are still a large number of compatibility issues with hardware, but
new drivers are coming out weekly.

Best of Luck

Greg Casper
San Jose, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Greg Torres
Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2002 5:45 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Molded Keytops (slightly OT again)

Jim Bryant  wrote: "Can you tell me what is meant by XP being so intrusive"?

Jim,

Registration and authorization from MS to use XP after a period of time (I
think it is 30 days) and the fact it takes upward of about 2 gig of space
which makes backing it up and/or installing it on another machine more
difficult than with WIN 98. So if you have a crash and have to re-install it
is an even bigger chore than 98 or 2K...

Best,
Greg