Square piano strings/ Dave Dormus' ?

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:58:22 -0400

Joe wrote:

>At present, I know of no scaling program that has the mass
>coefficients for "Iron Wire", so that breaking strength can be calculated
>for this wire.

Well Rose C is actually not iron - it is carbon steel, and pretty hard
modern stuff too, nothing like historical steels. I agree for something
like an 1840 piano there isn't much choice at the moment, at least not
commercially available wire. As for breaking strengths these are published
by Malcolm Rose, but they can easily be tested.

If you'd like to learn something about historical soft _iron_ wire (pre
1830 or so), I have an article at http://real.uwaterloo.ca/~sbirkett Follow
the link to "historical materials" then "wire" then click on "article". At
the moment there is no modern wire that comes even close to he
characteristics of historical iron wire. For soft iron there is no single
breaking strength that can be calculated, Joe, because it depends on many
factors in the drawing process - this has to be determined for samples
wires. Also breaking stress is quite noticeably dependent on diameter, much
more so than for carbon steel wire.

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228