Square piano strings/ Dave Dormus' ?

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 06:54:41 -0500

At 11:58 PM -0400 6/25/02, Stephen Birkett wrote:

>Well Rose C is actually not iron - it is carbon steel, and pretty
>hard modern stuff too, nothing like historical steels. I agree for
>something like an 1840 piano there isn't much choice at the moment,
>at least not commercially available wire.

Thats what I needed to know, thanks Stephen. You can feel the
difference in the old wire if you have to take off a broken string,
your fingers notice immediately. I restrung an 1820's piano many
years ago, keeping the original pins and all the wire that was on it,
as I intend to do with this lttle square, and the sensation of
handling the old iron and brass was something you never forget.

Any damper cloth suggestions?
--
----Dave

Dave Doremus RPT