Square piano strings/ Dave Dormus' ?

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 07:04:02 -0500

At 8:39 PM -0700 6/25/02, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>Dave et al,
>I would feel real good about using the Rose "C" wire. But, only if you
>intend to either rescale for 440 or if you intend to tune it at a lower
>pitch.

Hi Joseph, I'm happy with 430 for this piano, or even 415. I'm trying
to make it work as best it can while removing no original materials,
and simply want to replace missing parts with the closest available
material. Looks like Macolm Rose has the best wire....

>  At present, I know of no scaling program that has the mass
>coefficients for "Iron Wire", so that breaking strength can be calculated
>for this wire.

You should look ask Rose, I think he publishes his details.
Thanks for your reply, Id love to see your scaling program. I hope
you include as much flexibility in terms of pitch and wire as you
can. Be nice to know if you could restring a harpsichord in softer
iron and yellow brass without finding out the hard way...are you
allowing open wound brass bass strings? Like clavichords and early
pianos have?
--
----Dave

Dave Doremus RPT