Peterson 490ST - now on to other choices

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:25:45 -0700

James, from what I have seen, I think you may get the best results from the Verituner. But I personally do not like stand-alone units. I see many upsides to being able to simply run something on a laptop; I can always use the laptop for something else, but the stand-alone units are only good for one thing. In the long run, the computer allows the freedom to easily change systems when something better comes along! If Verituner comes out with a computer software version for laptop users, I'll be the first to jump onboard.

Go for TuneLab, Cybertuner is not worth the extra $450. Besides, TuneLab lets you try things out before you buy it. I wouldn't want to pay $800 for the cybertuner without being able to give it a real workout. For $34 you can be a registered user of TuneLab 97. If you are looking for the best price/performance ratio, I'd start there.

Bradley M. Snook

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: James T. Gammon
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 6:42 PM
  Subject: Re: Peterson 490ST - now on to other choices

     Thanks for the great responses!  I've learned some valuable things.  Given that I think I'm going to avoid the Peterson tuner, what are my other options for ETDs?  As I understand it, this is what's available:

  Hardware:

  Sanderson SAT (I, II, or III)
  Verituner

  Software:

  TuneLab Pro
  Reyburn Cybertuner (is this the "cybertuner" to which everyone is referring?)

      What does everyone think of these?  In particular, I'm wondering about price/performance ratio.  For instance, the TuneLab Pro program costs like $350, I think, and the Cybertuner costs $800 or so.  Is it worth the difference?  Is the Cybertuner that much more useful than a used Sanderson for the price increase and the need to buy a cheap laptop?  Thanks all,

      james