Twisted key

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 20:20:48 -0800 (PST)

If I try to tap the balance rail pin to the side to straighten the way the key sits, then the key is sitting against the adjacent key in the key button area. There is not enough room to tap it over far enough to compensate for the leaning created by the twist.  I may try to move it over from the back like you said, that might be easier than reshaping the front and refitting the key top.
I wondered if anyone would suggest some method of steaming the key wood while clamped in vices to untwist then letting it dry being held in the correct shape.  But, perhaps key buttons would come unglued, bushings may get loosened etc, with steam being applied.
Bob
 Dave Bunch <pdtek@mchsi.com> wrote:If the two adjacent keys were not there, could you square and level it? In other words, is binding at the rear of the key what is keeping you from lining things up in front? If so, you might be able to reshape the rear of the key enough to make it work. You could even plug and redrill for the capstan if needed. Dave Bunch----- Original Message ----- From: Bob Hull To: pianotech@ptg.org Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 8:55 PMSubject: Twisted key

List,

I tuned a Baldwin Hamilton today that has a twisted or warped white key.  It can't be leveled with the others or squared.  The front of the key is twisted compared to the back.  When you set it on a flat surface you can really see the twist - the front left corner of the  key is up in the air about 1/8".  I know sometimes you can force a wedge into a kerf cut into a key that is bent or warped, but it doesn't seem like that would work on this twisted key.  I would appreciate your suggestions.

Bob