Help! setting up a new shop/Warren Fisher

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 15:50:42 -0800

Warren,
A few more thoughts. I would opt for 10 foot ceilings w/some kind of
acoustic baffling. I read somewhere that higher ceilings make you less aware
of dust flying, etc. The Acoustic baffling will help cut down on the clang
and clatter of a normal shop. BTW, it might be a good idea to pack the walls
of the Power Tools room with lots of sound absorbing material. That way the
machines can be running and not interfer with tuning, regulation and noise
chasing.
Also, a good sound system to listen to your favorite tunes while working is
nice.
One thing I did with my little shop design is to make sure that I had my
"Main Bench" out in the middle of the room w/ adequate room to move pianos
all the way around it. This "Main Bench" is for regulation and grand action
work. Benches along walls are ok for key work and regular wood working. Oh,
at least one bench each w/good vises attached. One for woodworking and one
for metal work, etc.
In my little shop, the walls and the ceilings are used for storage. Don't
forget proper layout and ample room for parts storage. (on this subject, I
could go on forever.<G> Storage for large items like damp-chaser stock, skid
boards, dollies, blankets etc., are always a problem. A deep sink for
cleaning paint brushes, glue pots and whatever is recommended, (hot/cold
water).
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)