False beats

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 00:55:03 +0100

>Is there any truth to the old belief that bringing pitch up in small
stages,
>over time, helps to prevent false beats?

Yes indeed, I have detected false beats becoming apparent when pitch
raising, mind you quite severe pitch raises - 200 cents. The likely cause is
the kinks in the string (formed after years of being in contact with the
bridge pins) being pulled through to the speaking length. The kinks take
quite a while to straighten out but I have found that an immediate pitch
raise to concert pitch is more beneficial than a few false beats here and
there.

Regards
Alan Forsyth , FWIW, BTW, IMHO, MIT.
Edinburgh