Stanwood Standards, was Upweight Maximums

Wed, 09 Apr 2003 12:24:27 +0200

David Love wrote:

> I think this is a bit hyperbolic.  I don't hear many people spending much
> energy trying to find reasons or prove anything negative about Stanwood's
> system.

Well I certainly do, and some of them pretty well known folks.

> I hear, on occasion, a few people describing his system as
> overkill, that you can get a perfectly fine functioning action without
> going to such lengths.  And I think that they are right.  You can get an
> action to perform well without the kind of detailed analysis and set up
> that the Stanwood system calls for.  That may not appeal to the growing
> number of type A's who have found his system to be just what the doctor
> ordered, but there are other ways to skin a cat.

Yep... this is one of those reasonings that go along the "its really useless
anyways" line. I heard this exact line several times from some Steinway techs
in Arlington and Reno, and they werent the only ones either. Sure you can set
up an action and do a decent job of it without the new protocols. But you have
to look long and far for a system that provides anywhere near the perfomance
predictability that the Stanwood system provides. For that matter, any system
that is easier to implement or less time consuming as well.

> Personally, as a nearly certified type A when it comes to piano work, I find
> Stanwood metrology a
> good way to incorporate predictability into action design.  Whether or not
> I agree with the specific designs that I have seen is a different matter
> but one in which I wouldn't presume to discuss in terms of right and wrong.

Hmmm... I seem to remember a discussion a while back in which you were pretty
adamant about the rights and wrongs of certain things. Heavy hammers, and
deviance from precise 10mm dip were amoung those deadly sins were they not ?

> But for now, I think David S. is safe from any replays of the trials in
> Salem, and I hear far more compliments and interest in his ideas than I do
> negative pronouncements.

Hmm... Witch trials.... tho perhaps a bit melodramatic, whether they be
realized or not is largely a matter that is in his own hands.

I agree tho, that as time passes and folks begin to look through the wool, more
and more become enthused with the potential that lies herein.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.