Killer Octave Question

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 19:58:59 -0400

Terry,

It's not just a killer octave, it starts in the bass side of the first
capo area and extends into the tenor area and up towards the treble. It
some cases its the whole middle of the pianos that is killed. As pianos
age the soundboard no longer supports the full amount of bearing. This
will happen to any piano no mater how it is made. Some techniques and
designs accelerate the process and some designs delay it. Even the very
best designed and crafted piano will eventually fall victim to the
disease. Poor craftsmanship will certainly contribute to this problem
and many pianos leave the hands of rebuilders and manufacturers with
dead soundboards.  I have visited shops were no control of relative
humidity prior to ribbing assures that the soundbaord will have
practically no crown at all.  The hapless craftsmen at these shops seem
completely un bothered by this result but a soundboard without adequate
crown is doomed to tonal mediocrity.

It is notable that this problem happens on virtually all modern pianos.
This indicates that the problem is not caused by scale designs or
ribbing patterns or many of the other possible causes but is inherent to
all pianos that use string bearing to raise the impedance of the soundboard.

Why does it start and spread from the low treble?  This area of the
scale, in my experience, relies on  bearing pressure to create a round
tone more so then other areas of the scale. It is also an area that
receives more pressure from the bearing than lower down in the bass. I
got into this in more detail in my downbearing articles published in the
fall of 95.  Some people expressed surprise at the high numbers I
calculated (in the article) for the bearing force on a new soundboard.
Even after seven years I am still convince of the need to apply adequate
bearing in this area of the scale. Obviously precaution need to be made
to assure a reasonable life span for the soundboard. This is were
craftsmanship plays a major role; making sure the panel is strong with
good glue joints, seasoning and selecting spruce for the panel as well
as dimensioning the ribs and profiling them with adequate crown. And, of
coarse, making sure that the soundboard has true crown both along the
ribs and along the bridge.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin