S & S backaction

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:37:44 -0400

Greg,

The Renner drill bit has a countersink built in. This makes fast work of
drilling both the pilot hole and countersink at the same time. It would
be difficult to use a regular countersink since the holes are close to
the tray. You need something long and not too wide to get in there.
There are other options like a step drill or the type of countersink
that attaches to the bits' shank but they would be harder to find. W.L.
Fuller has the counter sinks and can make custom drill bits but I don't
know how much of a savings they would be. I use a custom step drill for
drilling the tray holes. Originaly I designed this bit for drilling new
Steinway tubular action frames but it works on the Renner kit just as
well. I say buy the bit from Renner.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin