Killer Octave Question

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:50:39 +1000

John Hartman wrote;

>Are you trying to drown me with questions? I haven't yet finished
>responding to your last flock and now you have a few more.

to which Ron N replied;

No, I'm still on the first one. I doubt the rest will never be
addressed, but I'd still like an answer to this one. If I ever get
it, we'll try the next. If the crowned bridge supports soundboard
crown, as you said, why do so many Steinways (with crowned bridges)
have negative soundboard crowns before they even get out of the
showroom? There is a fundamental contradiction here I'm trying to get
you to answer to.

I also would like to know, how a long bridge supports sound board crown?

>I will continue to try and help those with less experience than I by
>offering input. I also look forward to hearing from more experienced
>technicians who may answer my questions. I think there are others on
>this list that may be interested in discussing piano rebuilding
>issues from a point of view other than piano re-engineering.

to which Ron N replied;

Again, I'm not discussing re-engineering. I asked for an explanation
of a claim you made. It's very simple.

Agreed Ron, but nevertheless John, there is nothing wrong with
re-engineering a piano if you;

a) have the skills and knowledge to carry it through and

b) if the resultant piano warrants to the effort required.

>For the most part replicating their design and implementing many of
>the original techniques leads directly to better results and
>improved efficiency.

That just depends on the understanding and knowledge of the
rebuilder. On the other hand, replicating the original techniques
could be a complete waste of time and effort. Everything should be
reconsidered. If the original idea is good lets do it, if there are
better ways of obtaining equal or better results lets dump the old
idea.

>I know through the phone calls I get and questions at chapter
>meetings I attend that there are many technicians just starting out
>or at an intermediate level that are interested in these basics of
>piano re-building.

Of course. We all start out interested in the basics, which hopefully
will lead to a pursuit of further knowledge, over an above the
understanding of our forebears.  To recreate something in its
original form, just as it was (warts and all), would seem to be
nothing short of a wasted opportunity.

I would like to add in conclusion that, like Ron Nossaman, I have
found the bridges do not need to be 'crowned' to follow the contour
of a crowned sound board. Sure the long bridge will rotate backwards
on its axis (from end to end) just slightly to accommodate the crown
of the board, but it will be so minimal as to be insignificant. The
rib profile,  'stress in extreme fibre' and paring profile is where
its at!

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY