Killer Octave Question

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 00:12:59 +1000

If you imagine a line which passes through each end of the long
bridge, the bridge rotates around the axis of that line such that it
rises in the middle to accommodate the rising centre of the sound
board. When we started installing entire long bridges, we had it in
mind that we would crown the underside of the bridge to fit the crown
of the board, similar to John's suggestion. But when we built the
first basic bridge blank, we noticed that it fitted the board's
crowned profile almost perfectly as is. Consequently, we haven't
bothered crowning the underside of the bridge to this day.

>  > The
>>  rib profile,  'stress in extreme fibre' and paring profile is where
>>  its at!
>
>I'm trying to understand this statement. Rib profile - OK, the
>shape/curve of the rib.

Yup.

>Stress in extreme fibre - what is that?

Look up your engineering handbook. The chapter on beams as load
bearing structures has the info. The maximum stress in extreme fibre
is the loading within the beam which results from a given load (this
is always at a maximum at the top and bottom of the beam, and
virtually zero in the middle). After reading about the behaviour of
beams, take a look at any 1900 Bl=FCthner or Bechstein board with their
low 18 mm high sound board ribs. No surprises as to why they've sunk
out in the middle right under the long bridge. Its all about
excessive 'stress in extreme' fibre.

>Paring profile - totally lost on this one - what is that?

The paring (you might have a different term for it) at the ends of
the ribs have a marked influence over the tonal outcome. Have a look
under a few different pianos and think about what you see and how
they sound.

By the way Terry, congratulations on your new venture into belly
work. Looking good.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY