No killer octave here

Delwin D. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:18:01 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Caught" <caute@bigpond.com.au>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2003 3:54 AM
Subject: Re: No killer octave here

> Hi Del,
>
> Understand what you are saying and I do agree but it may be possible that
> because the strings are locked onto the bridge, that the strings
vibrations
> will be transferred to the soundboard over a greater area of bridge /
> soundboard contact. By doing this it would not rectify the problem but it
> may disguise it enough to not be so noticeable.

Energy from the strings is "transferred over a greater area of the bridge"
by virture of the bridge being set in physical motion by the vibrating
energy in the strings. Because of this motion both the soundboard and the
other strings in the vicinity are also set in motion. The intensity--or
range of motion--decreases with the distance away from the strings doing the
exciting. Other things being equal, a stiffer bridge will distribute this
motion over a greater distance though its range of travel will be less.

A bridge system as shown in the picture that started this thread should have
rather good sustain but may not have much in the way of volume or power.
Assuming, of course, that its string scaling, its soundboard and rib system
and its supporting structure (soundboard liners, back assembly, etc.) is
otherwise relatively conventional.

> I know, not the right answer but it sure would stop a lot of false beats
in
> the upper treble.

This is at least potentially true.

Del