Worth it? was Baldwin warrantee

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 06:51:38 -0400

Coments interspersed below:

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: <tune4u@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 12:04 AM
Subject: Worth it? was Baldwin warrantee

> I had a Baldwin dealer call me (back in the Baldwin Baldwin days) and =
ask me
> to go look at a new Chickering grand on which the una corda wasn't =
working.
> He told me it would be a warranty job. Okay, says I, and I drive 40 =
miles to
> the customer. Turns out to be just an adjustment of the pedal collar. =
Time
> on site, 5-10 minutes. Baldwin told me they wouldn't pay for it as it =
should
> have been handled as dealer prep or at delivery and setup. Dealer does =
not
> understand the term "dealer prep," or much else about the piano =
business. He
> paid me, eventually, but it all became a stupid hassle.

Just curious, if you don't mind, how much time did you charge for your =
service call? You can just state it in terms of your normal hourly rate =
time how many hours? It sounds to me like you spent at least two hours.

> Let's just say I
> won't do any more calls for him.=20

Hey, at least you learn fast!

> He lost his Baldwin contract in the
> switchover (many small dealers did) and now sells Wal-Mart Pianos, =
i.e.,
> Made in China.

Gosh, where's the "Grand Piano Co." when you need them? If Wal-Mart had =
come before they went out of business......... Geez, a match made in =
heaven!
=20
> My point: I don't get much dealer work and almost no warranty repairs =
out
> here, but what little I've seen and stories I've heard suggest that =
neither
> is really worth much to my business.

Ditto.

> How does that notion fit in with the experience of others?=20

That's been my impression. Out of six dealers in the local area that I =
have some sort of experience with, there is only one that I would =
classify as a good upstanding ethical businessman. I did some work for =
him, and I was the low guy on the totem pole, so it still didn't work =
out too well for me.

> How about you
> city-slickers?=20

I'm not a city-slicker. I'm an imported "Southern Boy". Although I don't =
spend much time driving around in a muddy 12-foot tall 4-wheel-drive =
pickup with a 15-foot rebel flag mounted on a pole in the truck bed (see =
many of those in Manhattan?). Maybe I'm just an imposter.

> Is it better in a bigger new-piano market?

Oops. Sounds like you are looking for input from NY or Philly or =
Baaaaston - not Tampa, Florida.

Dealer work - bottom line - Was it Worth it? In my experience, NO!