Worth it? was Baldwin warrantee

Pianofxrguy@aol.com Pianofxrguy@aol.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:33:19 EDT

Quoting Dave Stahl on doing warrantee work:

The customers that I've done the work for have been impressed with how=20
promptly the work has been done. =A0I've gotten many recommendations from th=
ese=20
customer to their friends, and gotten far more work than the original=20
warranty job out of them.

       Dave makes an important point. In a business that relies heavily on=20
"word-of-mouth," the value of dealer and warrantee work is not always the=20
immediate remuneration, but the longer term relationships. Sometimes you onl=
y=20
get one more tuning out of those people, sometimes none, sometimes you get=20
lifetime customers along with many of their friends. It is a sort of time=20
investment that occasionally pays dividends down the line. Of course, if you=
=20
are already pretty busy, you don't need that initial "hassle."
       Regarding Baldwin and Baldwin dealers: I have had a 30 year business=20
relationship with our local Baldwin dealer and have always been impressed=20
with the way he treats the customers. Realizing that the technician is a=20
"necessary evil," he has almost always taken my recommendation on what is=20
needed with piano problems and when Gibson/Baldwin has bailed out on=20
warrantee stuff, he covers it himself, not wanting his word-of-mouth=20
reputation being trashed. (Baldwin used to be really good about covering=20
these things, I hope Gibson will be as concientious about their own product.=
)=20
 BTW, although our South Bend Baldwin dealer re-upped with Baldwin, his main=
=20
line is now Yamaha. Once burned, twice wise, I guess.
John Stroup