Rebuilding for Performance or Show? changes - Isaac OLEG's list

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 19:27:38 +0200

Hello,

I am talking about what you call modern piano, anyway, and if the
damper system is too much inefficient something have to be done about
it (and often have been done yet). For sure the tone changes a tad,
but that is unavoidable I believe. Then the main problem is to find
good material of choice to replace hardened and inefficient ones when
necessary.

But I'll buy the idea of the dampers working differently, and less
fast than on a truly modern instrument, the problem is when it is
enough to be noticed by the pianists (we have enough complaints of the
treble strings where the dampers seems to have been lost to be a bit
careful about those matters - all depend of the audience for sure).

Beside I had refurbish some relatively old instruments and I don't
remember unless on some early cases having too much incoherence
lately.
One of the reason old instruments are often repaired with re-felted
hammers here is that they are less powerful, they insert well in the
mid-way repairs often done.
Things are more complicated when we want truly new parts for some
reason for sure.

BTW do you know if Ronsen use a A Dodge machine for hammer felting ?

Greetings

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech