Rebuilding for Performance or Show?

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 00:05:12 +0200

Terry

I do not replicate boards for sure, but I was shown a way of
evaluating the amount of give that the soundboard assembly have took
with time , with a "finished elements analysis" based on the ribs
size, the strings tension, panel thickness and kind of wood, and then
obtaining expected crown to begin with (a very ambitious project I may
say ).

This seem interesting on the paper (may say on the screen), but may be
it is also oversimplification the problem to a shape problem, that is
only part of the picture for sure.

Nowadays I suppose that one having a good idea of how the system works
is able to understand with time and experience, how this was setup to
begin with.

Reverse engineering, to use modern terminology !

Friends that work more on historical instruments have all precise
ideas about it, so it may be not so impossible to tell in the end.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy