brambach upright backscale

Delwin D. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:29:10 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Driscoll" <tomtuner@attbi.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 5:20 AM
Subject: brambach upright backscale

> List,
>    Unusual stringing-hitch pin system on a 100 year old Brambach
> upright. Excuse the poor photo, but each unison is independent from the
> next. I guess the designer didn't want a string to loop around the hitch
> pin to the next note. Middle tuning pin has the knot while top and
> bottom tuning  pins loop around the hitch pin.
> Perhaps some of you have seen this before ,but it was a new one
> for me,
> Tom Driscoll RPT

A Brambach upright? I've never seen one  before.

But I have encountered this style of stringing. Usually the trailing
hitchpin is some larger than the one used here. The idea being to spread the
two outside strings enough so that they come straight back from the bridge
pins.

A good compromise for those wanting equal tension on both sides of the
hitchpin. I don't see any practical benefit, but it does look nice.

Del