Loose Tuning Pins-Drink Spilled

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:00:50 EDT

In a message dated 4/23/03 3:16:13 PM Central Daylight Time,
gholley@hi-techhousing.com writes:

> Turns out a guest spilled a drink on
> the plate/soundboard/strings/pins, about 18 months ago, from G2 all
> the way to A0.  It was sopped out but there is a stain on the
> soundboard, the lighting was poor but the strings and plate appear to
> be discolored, the could not tell the condition of the hammers.
> "And it won't hold the tuning now, and it was tuned over a year ago"
> says he.

Gordon

One drink spilled on a the plate and soundboard is not going to do much
damage to either. The main concern would be the bass strings, which most
likely need to be replaced. When you do that, replace the tuning pins with
one size larger. Before replacing the pins, swab out the holes with denatured
alcohol. What you want to do get rid of is the sugar that was in the drink.
The alcohol in the drink allowed to water to go down in there, but unless
this was a 12 ounce tumbler, I doubt enough was dumped on the pin block to
cause the lamination to separate.

The other problem you might need to deal with is the hammers. If they got a
soaking, they will be hard. You can try voicing them, or you might need to
replace a few of the bad ones.

As far as the soundboard, again, when you're replacing the bass strings, just
clean up the mess. The little water that was spilled should not effect the
board, except make it dirty,

Wim