Refinishing - Stripping & Stain Uneveness

pianolac pianolac@bestweb.net
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 17:35:34 -0500

Terry
Finish stripping with Dyna 2 non-methylene chloride stripper, wash off with
alcohol.  Sand with #100, #150, #220 papers, and you will have an even toned
wood (as even as nature made) ready to stain.

The Dyna 2 is available from me, even though it isn't listed on the website.

Arthur Grudko
www.pianolac.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2003 2:23 PM
Subject: Refinishing - Stripping & Stain Uneveness

> Refinishing question. I started stripping a piano - the typical reddish
stained mahogany. The finish was original. I have always used chemical
strippers before but I am trying scraping this time. The scraping seems to
go easy and well, except that you end up with some areas of stain largely
removed and some areas remaining, resulting in a blotchy appearance. I have
sanded, and that helps a little, but it is still blotchy and sanding is
tough because the sandpaper just loads up in three seconds flat.

> My guess is that when I re-stain (will be going with a similar color) some
blotchyness will remain. Using chemical strippers in the past has yielded
fairly even-colored wood to work with - so I don't really know what will
happen if the blotchy color is stained. Anyone with any experience with
this? Recommendations? Thanks.