J. Becker Grand no glide bolts

Bill Maxim wmaxim@sc.rr.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:51:07 -0400

List,

About two months ago I serviced a "J. Becker" stencil grand for a =
church.  I assumed it to be a Chinese import because of the dealer's =
sticker (Westbrook), a local man (of "Grand" <spinet> piano fame) =
recently deceased and who was since the Grand spinet days importing =
pianos directly from China.  I learn now from Pierce that J. Becker is a =
firm in St. Petersburg, Russia still operating at least when the 10th =
edition came out.

The piano was in such poor shape I followed up the visit with a two-page =
letter detailing the piano's problems.  They have just now returned a =
copy of my letter highlighting a couple of things they would like me to =
estimate on correcting, while they decide whether to repair or replace =
the piano:  1) Half the action return spring had broken off causing the =
soft pedal return to be undependable; estimating on that should be no =
problem.  2) The action has no glide bolts.  Frankly, I have never heard =
of retrofitting glide bolts into a key frame that never had them.  I =
don't see them in the Schaff catalogue.

My feeling is to drive the nail into the coffin.  What say you?

Bill Maxim, RPT