Beauty

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:34:13 -0600

Today I was called to evaluate an old piano. It turned out the be one of
the most beautiful pianos I've ever seen.

It's a Collard & Collard overdamper with gorgeous walnut veneer. The
body style suggests 1870-1900 but can't square the numbers with the
Pierce Atlas. There are these letters/numbers beautifully handwritten on
the harp: G12104 then, below that, 78 GS.

It has a FULL metal frame and a decal on the fallboard that says "Metal
Frame - Check Action Trichord" (Don't know what that last part is
supposed to be. The action is wood framed but very sturdy, heavy wood
framing.

The case condition is excellent or better. The action is not worn out at
all, except it needs new damper felts. The soundboard has minor cracks
(the grain runs parallel to the floor).

It is not overstrung and the straight vertical strings (less
sidebearing?) may have helped preserve the bridges because I had to look
hard to find even the tiniest beginning of an eyelash crack on one pin.

I know birdcages are generally boo-booed and poo-pooed by people but
this baby was very well built and has a lot of quality to it, beyond the
furniture! But as to the furniture you should see the beautifully carved
and cleverly designed fold-out/flip down music desk.

I'd appreciate any comments, questions, thoughts, ideas, valuations,
dating, etc., that you might care to share.

BTW, the one thing I haven't been able to evaluate is the pinblock
because the pins are small rectangular-head jobs that don't work with my
hammer. I might have to buy an oblong-head hammer just to evaluate
and/or tune this one piano!

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

---