Squeeking rep lever springs on Tokiwa wips

Mark Dierauf mark@nhpianos.com
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 23:18:36 -0500

  In the past year I installed two sets of "Miracle Wips", made by
Tokiwa via Pianotek. Both sets quickly developed fairly noisy squeaks
where the rep lever spring slides in the slot on the underside of the
lever. I tried clear Teflon and protek, both on the spring and in the
slot, which originally had painted on graphite. The springs are clean,
and don't appear to have any loose or missing plating or corrosion, and
I've looked with a microscope. Both pianos are in humidity-controlled
environments. Both these sets are also plagued by "Suddenly Tight
Center-Pin Syndrome" with friction jumping from 2 - 3 grams to 20 - 30
grams! After just spending several hours each on both pianos, pulling
every wip and checking/repining flanges & jacks and lubing all the
slots, the customer calls back to say: "Its baa-ack!"  Has anyone ever
run across this on any piano and found a permanent solution?

- Mark