Plate Suspension--Carl Meyer

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:09:32 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 6:15 PM
  Subject: Re: Plate Suspension--Carl Meyer

  In a message dated 12/7/2003 1:53:51 PM Pacific Standard Time, =
cmpiano@comcast.net writes:
    Dale, they come in many sizes and length.  Look at McMaster Carr on =
the net.  It's like a lag bolt on one end, machine screw on the other.  =
Put a nut on the machine screw end and lock with (I prefer to drill and =
tap the side of the nut) cut off the excess length and slot.  I usually =
put an internal tooth lockwasher on top the nut so the screw won't turn =
after it's adjusted and you are tightening the top nut. Use a thin (jam) =
nut for minimum thickness.  In your case I would counterbore the rim to =
clear the nut and if necessary grind off the boss on the plate.  Lots =
simpler than machining the head of the bolt.  Any decent hardware store =
should have hanger bolts and acorn nuts as well.   3/4 c-bore 3/8 or 1/2 =
inch deep should do it.

    Nice to hear from you.  Hi to Trix!

    Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
    Santa Clara, Ca. =20

      Carl ---I don't know bout you but grinding plate bosses is not my =
idea of time well spent. I get the drift=20
  . One thing though, how hard are these bolts & what do use to cut 13 =
plus slots in short order.

  You won't need to grind them if you chisel clearance from the =
soundboard where the bosses hit.  That is if you need to lower the plate =
below the surface.  If you have clearance already, no need.

  The bolts are mild steel.  I've just used a metal cutting bandsaw.  If =
I had to do lots of them I'd design a tool to do it.  I've seen some =
thin small abrasive wheels at suplus houses, but I haven't tried them =
yet. =20

  Carl