Intuit's Customer Manager review

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:13:04

Hi,

There are problems with RAM based database technology. One is that the
entire data set must be loaded into RAM before the client can be used. As
the number of records increases things like search time do tend to
increase. I believe it is by the cube of the number of records--but that
may be inaccurate. Another is our old friend the power company. If you use
RAM based  technology then save frequently to disk.

I use an old dos disk based shareware "flat file" database called "File
Express". It is very user friendly and menu driven so the learning curve is
extremely short.

A few others on the list have used "Time and Chaos" which is a shareware
user customizible PIM. Perhaps if a request for a "template" would be in
order.

What ever database is used perhaps the single most important question to be
asnwered is "Is the data easily exported". If not--and a couple of years
down the road the software becomes unavailable then you would be stuck "re
entering" all your data. That's a nightmare job.

I've been paperless for several years now, but I do back up my data on
three separate computers. Some firms also offer "online" storage. It is
prudent to use them.