Adjusting wippen assist springs

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:19:36 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

> >>As a general rule it's safe to work the springs so that they just support
> >>the weigh of the wippen.  This would take about 9-11 grams off the touch
> >>weight.  17 grams is generally considered the upper limit to working
> >>springs without significant risk of comprimising normal feel.  Some
> >>pianists are more sensitive to the effect than others.
> >
> >Thanks.  I was hoping for a number.  So, that is 17 grams of spring assist
> >at the capstan?
>
>No, that's at the front of the key.  BTW when I refer to TouchWeight it
>means Up/Down/Friction/Balance Weight.

OK.

> >On the particular action that I'm working on...

> >I normally don't use assist springs.  This is an old Hamburg Steinway O
>action.
> >It currently has assist springs which I am assuming are original.
> >Also somewhat low key ratio.
>
>It's the overall ratio that you need to know...
>
> >Someone at some point set the springs very strong
>
>What's "very strong"?

They are doing more than lifting themselves.

>   How many grams effect on U/D?

11 - 12 g.

>  Overlifting the wippen?

Definitely.

> >and took some of the weight out of the keys.  I am planning to put on new
>parts.
> >My intention was to use 3/4 medium to top medium hammers.
>
>What's the average StrikeWt Ratio?  An important question! 5.7 is good for
>3/4Med SW, 5.5 for TopMed SW.

6 in the bass to a little over 6 in the treble.

>6.0 won't do very well dynamically speaking unless the SW level is closer
>to 1/2 med.
>
>The original set up was probably like a 6.0 ratio with 1/2Med SW.

The current hammers as measured (with quite a bit of wear - and felt
removed) are 3/4 Low.

Maybe I need to think about making the new hammers a bit lighter then.

>If you copy the old parts you'll probably get a ratio like 6.0.

I was thinking of using a 17mm knuckle.  So the SWR could drop a bit.

>How far from the center pin to the center of the knuckle?
>
>David Stanwood

I don't have the parts in front of me and I don't find it in my notes.  I
think 16.25 or 16.5.  I'll have to check.

Phil Ford