I now pronounce you Knabe Mingonette (Plastic parts replacement)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:32:44 -0600

>         Why would you feel the need to preserve aluminum? To my
>experience longevity and serviceability are inherent in the material.

Yes. Even with a little nasty surface crud and corrosion, aluminum rails
are still plenty strong enough to be run out of town on. But if you want to
preserve them right, get them anodized (blue would be nice), or do the
alkali soap, acid wash primer, zinc chromate, and acrylic lacquer topcoat
thing. Then they'll outlast the piano to about the same degree as if you
hadn't treated them with anything more than a few small rodent droppings -
unless someone cross threads flange screws and strips them out.

Ron N