interesting subject/sound quality

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:50:28 -0600

Wondering if anyone out there has been fortunate enough to have heard
a Strad. live, and close-up, and could describe the differences in sound
quality. Some
years ago while I was watching Johnny Carson, he had a young fellow,
virtuoso,
violinist perform on his show. When sitting with Johnny, the Strad.
subject came up.
He didn't play one himself and suggested that not all great violinists
preferred a
Strad; but some other fine violin. I was quite taken aback at this,
because I assumed
that it would be preferred by all great musicians. Now of course, we
know that not all
fine pianists prefer a Steinway, but most do. There is no accounting for
taste, is there.??
I don't know if I have a good enough grasp of the language to describe
subtle differences in
tone associated with two fine instruments, and am very interested in
hearing opinions, if there are any.
Tonight, my wife and I were fortunate to catch Andre Rieu on public TV
from Detroit, and he
expounded on his Strad. Very poor quality sound from this very loud and
ruckus concert, and
I couldn't form a good opinion of what I actually heard, though we were
very much entertained.
I like to think that I play a violin some, but it's not pretty now, as I
haven't played for many years, and
my ability was questionable when I did. I do know how difficult it is.!!

Carl / Winnipeg.