Cockeyed hammers / Don Gilmore

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 03:38:14 -0500

Hi Don,

Yes, I agree with you, when one is needs to characterize the system =
accurately and not merely conceptualize it.  You're correct that the =
distribution of masses in the system is far from ideal. =20

That aside, you raise an interesting point...

<<Major Reason: The shank is also rigid, so the mass of the hammer head =
wouldn't even act from its center of gravity even if the shank had zero =
mass.  The center of percussion of the whole hammer (which is nowhere =
close to the cg of the head or the whole hammer) would determine its =
behaviour and a non-trivial (though easily calculable) part of the =
impact would be absorbed by the pivot itself as a result.  >>

YES!  Which raises a point I've scratched my head about.  Why is the =
hammer aligned the way it is on the shank?  It makes no sense to me.

Probably any baseball player would know that it's not smart to hit the =
ball with the very tip of the bat.  It makes for a nasty shock to the =
hands (and to the extent that the hands are not rigid in space, it takes =
away from the power transferred to the ball).  Why do they do this with =
piano hammers?  More to the point, is this not considered an =
unneccessary demand to put on the hammer flanges and bushings?  Perhaps =
it's also a drain on efficiency?  Wouldn't it make sense to have some =
sort of asymmetrical molding whose center of mass is on the far side of =
the action center, so as to put the center of mass of the hammer =
assembly closer to the line of strike?

Also, wouldn't it at least make sense to angle the head of the hammer =
inwards slightly, so that the radius to the head's center of mass is =
perpendicular to the strike axis of the head?  It seems to me that this =
would help to control wobble in the hammer

I'm not sure I agree about part of the impact being "absorbed" by the =
pivot.  Sure, there would be force against the pivot, but for impact to =
be absorbed, the pivot would need to be compliant and inelastic.  I =
realize that's true to an extent, as no system is ideal.  However, do =
you think this would be a substantial drain of energy?  It seems to me =
that the hammer felt and the strings are far more compliant and are =
closer to the center of mass, such that almost all of the energy would =
be dissipated there (rather than at the comparatively rigid center).  =
Have you ever measured this?

Just curious on your take.  I can't do much more than scratch my head =
about this one.  If the hammer were perfectly rigid and the center =
bullet proof and noncompliant, there'd be nothing to worry about.  But =
considering that it does the hokey pokey and shimmies all about...  =
Well, I don't know.

Peace,
Sarah

PS  I do appreciate that you're not being a "wise guy."  I enjoy =
discussing this stuff too.  It's been forever since I took college =
physics, and I have to exercise the gray matter every now and then to =
retain some fraction of what I learned.  Of course I studied physics =
before Isaac Newton came along... so that changed everything!!  ;-)