Carpal tunnel surgery

MKurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:36:55 -0500

Hi Randy:
After 30 years turning wrenches and pounding and twisting tools as an =
auto mechanic and 15 more as a piano tech, carpal tunnel syndrome caught =
up with me.  Numbness, pain, weakness, etc in both hands.  I was lucky =
enough to find an orthopedic surgeon who knew what he was doing and had =
both operated on at the same time.  They don't normally like to do this =
as it disables both hands, but we prevailed.  Immediate good results!  =
That night I had the first good night's sleep in years without waking up =
from symptoms.  Recovery was on schedule and all symptoms disappeared. =20
 However, I know of another tech who had the same operation (different =
doctor) and after 2 years, still has some difficulty with pain.  All I =
can say is find a good doc and hope.  The overwhelming thinking seems to =
be that it is a successful procedure in a high percentage of cases.  I =
read recently of laproscopic surgery which is less invasive, but how =
effective?
Good Luck,
    Mike Kurta, RPT