Touch Weight

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:31:41 +0100

I was taking in account the change in roller position, that is what I
called higher moment of inertia on the hammer (lighter heads but
roller near to the center pin vs. actual 17 mm setup) while I don't
have the maths for , for instance differences of weight in the hammer
vs. different placement of the roller relation.

What is interesting in the way this affair is being made clearer (?)
actually is that we used to discuss action weight in terms of static
balancing more or less whatever method of balancing we choose, while
if we begin to think about kinetic energy and angular motion, there we
are more in what is perceived by a (deaf) pianist.

It is unfortunate to us but the biggest parameter, not in balancing,
but in toutchweigh, seem well to be finally the capacity to precisely
accelerate or eventually restrain the hammer motion.

The ideal action may give the pianist the sensation the hammers are at
the tip of its fingers (transparence), hence the danger of any
assisted method. And because the pianist is able to use different
methods for tone production, the catapult analogy is not the only one
that play a role.

I believe that the pianist, because he have so much power to deliver
to the key if he wish, may be faced with some sort of predictable
brake, and that he use that braking as a security element. Then this
internal resistance may that should be overridden easily if need arise
should certainly be related .

A pianist knows how much arms/shoulder weight is to be used to
override the action weight (or moment of inertia), so the acceleration
given by the finger is a smaller effort produced. Pianists that use
their muscular force for each note have not a very good tone nor real
speed generally. So the match between their own body mass and the mass
of the parts they have to move is certainly an important notion.
Talking about the way the leads placement influence the transmission
of kinetic energy  it is just a gut feeling but I see the key as being
in a "resonant" mode whatever stiffness it have .
Let's look at these videos ( promised to me for January) and see how
the hammer strings hit and the key bottoming synchronize. By the way,
I guess that the percussion point concept apply the same to the key
when hitting the punching, more mass, probably more energy (?)
delivered on the other side (again, in certain playing modes only).

Up to some point, the defects of the instrument are appropriate in the
end ( A very conservative point I admit !)

But in the end all of that belong to the matrix - or whatever we call
it ;>(

Greetings, and best of courage for your future studies.

Isaac