pedal lyre screws are obsolete

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@indy.rr.com
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:03:57 -0500

I must not have read the original tread completely.  I guess I didn't =
realize that the backside of the bit needed to be modified to form a =
secondary cutter.  Maybe I should have read the entire thread.  I just =
remember I encountered this problem once installing a player system on a =
newer Chickering grand.  They use "T" nuts on the top of the keybed to =
fasten the lyre.  When I needed to move the lyre forward it took a =
little head scratching & tool modification to get the job done.

On a side note; that Chickering install was the most difficult I've ever =
done.  There was so little room in the action cavity to put my sensors =
and cords.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Marcel Carey=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2003 1:50 PM
  Subject: RE: pedal lyre screws are obsolete

  Yes Mike, this works. It was described somewhere in the Journal in the =
80's (I think Suzan Graham had written this tip). The way the spade birt =
works you have to understand. The bit will cut from the shank side (you =
have to make a cutting edge on the OPPOSITE side of the tip of the bit). =
Then you insert the bit with the shank pointing down and protruding from =
under the keybed. Then you attach the drill to the bit and drill PULLING =
from under (kind of reverse drilling).

  Marcel Carey, RPT
  Sherbrooke, QC