Broken Hammer Return Springs

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:30:36 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <anrebe@zianet.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 9:34 AM
Subject: Broken Hammer Return Springs

Are repair
> . . . . . . are repair springs the better route to take?  I will plan on bring a drill to tap these
> first, that rail is hardwood!
> Andrew Anderson
> Las Cruces, New Mexico
> Presently Annoyed in Old Mexico

    I carry two small drill bits -- one is 1/16" and the other 1/8", I believe -- and one or the other works for most small repairs involving drilling holes for small screws.  They have a hex shank that fits my cordless screwdriver.  I use the repair hammer return springs, drilling a hole first such that the coil of the spring can nestle in the "step" of the rail.  You need a screwholder to get that little screw started, which is usually a pain, but patience helps a lot.  You might substitute a Phillips head screw, which would be easier to get started.  I don't know any other way other than removing the rail, yanking out the old spring, poking a new spring through the hole, cutting a slot in the felt, and bending the spring back to pull it into the slot.  What a pain -- not worth it unless you're doing many.
    Another option is to use a Schwander-type butt with the spring and loop on the butt/flange assembly, but then you have to remove the hammer of course and put in a new shank, plus the catcher and jack might not line up the same.....
    -David Nereson, RPT