PitchLock

R Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 02:49:43 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <Tvak@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2003 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: PitchLock

> List
>
> Whether this little device would increase tuning stability is one thing...
> What good is coupling TWO strings together to keep them in tune with each
> other, when there's a third string right next to them going its own way?
>
> However, I wonder if this would help to eliminate false beats in older
> pianos?   Does this little metal band actually provide a new termination
point for
> the strings?
>

> Tom Sivak

Or it could give false beats.  It should certainly give the two lucky
strings a little more mass than the third one. plus in the pictures it looks
like it pulls one string more away from the bridge pin while pulling the
other closer.  Yes temination issues.  But hearing is believing,,,sorry I
did not come across audios at the web site.  Hope to see, scuse me, hear it
at Nashville.  If I were going on imagination I would couple the two outside
strings and tune the inside string to that.  But what do I know execpt if
they try it, that should be worth a one hour consultation fee.       How did
this idea ever occur? Does he do that to the bichords in the bass?  Should
be with wonderous effects if it works at all.  Then the whole piano should
be  bi-chord then.  (That is another hour.)   Will we see pianos in the 21st
century going back to two strings?  I am not holding my breath --- first we
have to get past "modern innovations" like mixded fiber "felt" hammers,
wooden parts made of compressed sawdust, a bucket of water hung 3 inches
from the middle of the soundboard or machine produced temperaments other
than ET.   Any change has to stand the test of hearing, ie producing a
noticible and pleasing difference to the ear.