Too efficient dampers?

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:31:44 -0700

The guy I work with says Steinway favors the front felt. On the M  I was
just working on, the string marks were well defined on the front felt of the
bichords but barely visible on the back felt. Indeed all the backs were
lifting slightly first. When the dampers hit the string, the front felt hits
first and the damper slides a mm backwards. It seems to lay down on the
string instead of going "plop", dead as it does when the head is perfectly
flat to the string. Instead of reducing or altering the felt to eliminate
the sudden shut off, I think that regulating the head to tilt slightly
forward would achieve the desired effect. No messing with springs or leads.
Keith Roberts