OT -- Telemarketing

Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:46:18 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elian Degen J." <elian_degen@cantv.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 10, 2003 10:09 PM
Subject: Re: OT -- Telemarketing

> Ok, Computers or not computers, they act likely
>
> I arrived to U.S. five month ago. One month later I acquired a phone
which
> is still not advertised... Since day one some telemarketing company keeps
> calling Cindy Mayers. about a very interesting offer, always falling on
my
> answering machine, at last I got the call in person and explained them I
am
> not Cindy Mayers, I do not know Cindy Mayers, I do not want to tell them
who
> I am and I am not interested in whatever they are offering unless they
pay
> my phone bills. This kept happening several times and every time they
assure
> me I will be taken off their list and nobody will call anymore,
guessssssss
> yeah..... I keep receiving the calls, still asking for Cindy, and I am
not
> changing my number because it is usless, if they do not get you, one of
the
> other telemarketing companies will do. No way out
>
> Elian Degen

Actually there is. Even under the old law telemarketers are required to
keep a "Don't Call" list. If you request to be put on that don't call list
and they continue to call, you can report them to the FCC. It is a federal
offence and often a state offence. Usually the threat of reporting them
will do the trick. Keep a piece of paper handy to record the time and date
of their calls.

Of course, another telemarketing company can always call and then you have
to go through the whole thing all over again. And if the telemarketing
company uses a recording there is often nobody to talk to and it is usually
more trouble that it is worth to track them down and request to be put on
their "Don't Call" list.

In the mean time go to the web site, www.donotcall.gov, and register your
phone number. At least then you can look forward to October 1.

Del