Key Leads and Inertia

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:14:28 -0400

Ric asked:
>Well.. if you could just answer two rather straightforward
>questions. Can M  be taken to be << rougly >> the weight of the
>action components on the capstan, and if so can Ik then be <<
>roughly >> found by taking the product of this M and rk2 .....as in
>Mrk2  ?

No........
M = the mass of the key stick, capstan, whippen, hammer et al ...i.e.
*everything* that the poor pianist's finger has to move, with the
exception of any key keads that I add separately.  The position of
the capstan in this analysis is irrelevant [except insofar as the
small mass of the brass capstan itself will be involved in the moment
of inertia of the whole works, and a capstan further back will
contribute more to the moment of inertia than one closer to the
front]. You can find M simply by putting all those key and action
parts on a weighing scale, but you have to "remove" the mass of any
lead in the key stick.

and No.....
Ik has to be found by considering the distribution of M with respect
to the fulcrum point. You can't simply concentrate the mass at the
centre of mass. The relationship between the whippen heel and
capstan, key ratio, etc etc. has nothing to do with Ik. All that
matters is physically where the mass of these parts is located with
respect to the fulcrum of the key. [The simplification as noted is
that the real action parts do not move in an arc with respect to the
fulcrum, but rather move in more complicated trajectories, so the
moment of inertia is actually changing through the key stroke.]

So where does rk the centre of mass fit into this? You can determine
it simply enough experimentally. And you *can* consider all the mass
M acting at rk when calculating the torque it contributes due to its
weight. Remember M contributes to the equations in two ways: (1)
through its moment of inertia and (2) through its weight.  And these
are separate effects.

One factor that does have a serious impact on all of this is the mass
of the dampers, all the more so because it is relatively far away
from the fulcrum. These do seem to be treated in rather cavalier
fashion in discussions of key balancing [it never seems to be made
explicitly clear whether the dampers are on or off when doing
measurements, like a balck sheep relative in jail who never gets
mentioned in polite company]. The *inertial* effects of dampers being
lifted vs pedal up are certainly quite significant. Again you can
feel this in playing. Why do you suppose most modern pianists
habitually keep the pedal down? Hmmmm.

Stephen
--
Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos