Dealer prep

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 23:47:41 +0200

Hello,

The largest shops (dealers) understood a long time ago that :
may be 3 customers on 100 complain about evident problems on their
(new) pianos.

These warranty jobs can be done by contracting techs, that are paid a
minimal fee to produce a minimal job.

Owing a real rebuilding shop is a large part of the budget, it mean
keeping experienced people and paying them well enough, to keep a
synergy in the shop and be attractive to apprentice and beginners.

The more experienced tech are in the place for a long time and are
paid too much it is better to have them quit, and replace them with
independents or less experienced people, or better close the shop but
for the advertising.

Considering the regular problems that arise with rebuilds when they
are made internally, (since they are due to exigent pianists, but made
with the usual less than durable methods),  it is better to have these
jobs done outside, and the external techs are then warrant for their
work.

So when a shop is having prep pianos, that make a huge difference and
some still do it but they are not the largest ones.

Another strategy is to prep the piano after the customer is interested
in, so the salesman can have a rough idea of the level of prep that is
necessary.

Then I've seen many piano salesman playing with the sustain pedal
engaged as a standard...

Nowadays all this allow everybody to work, but I stopped working on
tunings for dealers, as the usual service was due for a "free" tuning
for instance, while the instruments where most often good for a pitch
raise and 2/3 hours prep, and I could not deal finely enough with the
situation.

I still work for some dealers but mostly for prep or on site repairs,
they ask for a quality service, and I am happy enough to provide it,
sometime in my shop, sometime in their. Having good methods and tools
allows for a more efficient work and the price is then acceptable to
them.

I even have one selling me a piano on a better price I could obtain in
my workshop. But I am not good on sales work indeed!

Greetings

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy