Shank Lengths for Steinway L

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:53:49 +0200

On dinsdag, jun 10, 2003, at 15:51 Europe/Amsterdam, Richard Brekne
wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> Any of you folks out there with experience dealing with the L model...
> is there some  specification for shank lengths for this model that
> calls
> for different lengths for different sections ?
>
> Thanks
> RicB

According to me there are almost never definite shank lengths for
Steinway grands despite the general prescribed measure of 13,5 cm from
the center pin to the middle of the hammer mold/core.
Especially in the third section (from the left) there are numerous
possibilities and in the factory it is quite normal (!) to change the
complete third section after second voicing. (yes we can do that
because we earn enough money la di da)

Antares,
The Netherlands

see my website at : www.concertpianoservice.nl