Key Leads and Inertia

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:29:12 -0400

>David,
>
>What do you mean by "the backside of the key"?  Are you referring to the
>portion from the balance pin hole to the end of the keystick where the
>capstan sits?
>
>With reference to "uniform selection of the wood for the key blank", how do
>top or bottom stiffening plates affect this (such as John Hartmann has
>referred to)?  I assume as long as the wood density is similar, the effect
>is minimal... as long as it's symmetrical around the fulcrum?
>
>Thanks...
>--Cy Shuster--
>Rochester, MN

Hi Cy

Yes, from the balance rail to the back end of the key... The plates are
centered near the fulcrum so they are not such a factor...  As we've seen
with hammer moldings, the density of graded wood can change alot... But in
the big picture I don't think all this is such a big issue... According to
the calculations of Hans Velo in Holland, 85% and or more of the force
needed to play a key, (not counting the damper), goes into moving the
hammer.... I'll be interested to see what kind of a percentage Stephen,
Richard, and all come up with at the completion of this thread.

David