Virtual Capstan

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:57:25 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >But I am still unclear about this second class lever
> >perspective.  Where is the fulcrum, load and input points exactly ? Strikes me
> >more like its just entially a second capstan / heel relationship.
> >Especially since
> >it behaves predictably so if its placed behind the standard capstan.
>
> Unclear in what way? I'm not sure I know any other way to explain it other
> than the way I have.

Hmmm... let me quote your two explaning posts in this regard... and perhaps you
will see why I dont understand where you have placed this 2nd class lever.

     >Not sure I follow you here. A second class lever is one in which the
     fulcrum is at one end, the load in the middle, and the input at the
     opposite end.

     That's right. The wippen magnet is the input for auxiliary lift, taking
     some load off the capstan. When the key is played, the magnet on the
     wippen becomes the inertial load on a third class lever with the capstan
     as input as well as still being input on the second class lever taking
     some load off the capstan.

And

     First class lever in the key, second class lever from the magnet lift of
     the wippen. From a play standpoint, that shouldn't be a problem since the
     increase progression should be shallow and smooth, and everything is
     already moving. There is one more thing though. You have a second class
     lever doing the lifting, but you also have extra inertial mass on both
     the second class lever (key) and the third class lever (wippen). Where
     the magnet lift is a second class lever, providing a mechanical
     advantage, the inertial mass presents a third class lever and an
     increased penalty.

Why dont you make it simple for me :)....  just tell me where you see the fulcrum,
point of effort, and point of load for this 2nd class lever and let me ponder that
for a bit. You've already given the input as being the magnet on the whippen.
Wheres the fulcrum and the loadpoint then ?... the whippen center (fulcrum) and the
weight of the top action on the magnet (load) ??

The bit about the magnet on the whippen becoming an inertial load on the thirdclass
(whippen) lever is clear.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.